Dealing with a contentious and “dirty game-playing” spouse during a divorce can be challenging. Here are seven things to avoid doing to help navigate this difficult situation more effectively:
- Engaging in Toxic Communication: Avoid responding to or escalating hostile and inflammatory communication from your spouse. Instead, focus on maintaining a calm and respectful tone in all your interactions, whether in person, through emails, texts, or other forms of communication.
- Using Children as Pawns: It’s crucial to shield your children from the conflict as much as possible. Avoid involving them in adult matters, using them to convey messages, or speaking negatively about your spouse in their presence.
- Social Media Warfare: Refrain from posting negative or sensitive content about your spouse on social media platforms. Anything you share can be used against you in court, and it can escalate the conflict further.
- Withholding Financial Information: Be transparent about your financial situation. Hiding assets or failing to provide accurate financial disclosures can lead to legal consequences and negatively impact the divorce proceedings.
- Disregarding Court Orders: Follow court orders and agreements meticulously, even if your spouse does not. Disregarding court orders can reflect poorly on you and complicate the divorce process.
- Reacting Emotionally: It’s natural to experience a range of emotions during a divorce, especially when dealing with a difficult spouse. However, avoid making impulsive decisions based on emotions. Consult with your attorney before taking any significant actions.
- Neglecting Self-Care: Divorce can be emotionally draining. Prioritize self-care by seeking support from friends, family, or professionals like therapists or counselors. Taking care of your emotional and mental well-being will help you navigate the challenges more effectively.
It is essential to consult with a qualified attorney who specializes in family law to guide you through the divorce process and provide tailored advice based on your unique situation. Going through a high-conflict divorce can be an incredibly challenging and emotionally charged experience. Artemis Family Law Group understands the complexities and sensitivities involved in such cases. Our experienced team of family law attorneys is dedicated to providing you with the guidance and support you need to navigate this difficult journey while preserving your integrity and protecting your rights. The attorneys at Artemis Family Law Group, through strategic and level-headed representation, are committed to helping you achieve the best possible outcome while maintaining your integrity and not stooping to the level of your contentious spouse. Our attorneys will approach your case strategically, focusing on solutions rather than escalating conflicts. Lastly, while Artemis Family Law Group is fully prepared to advocate for you in court, the attorneys also prioritize alternative dispute resolution methods, such as collaborative law and mediation, to help you achieve a more amicable and efficient resolution whenever possible.